Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Woman To Watch: Carlita Vasser, At Home Care St. Louis

Women have shown the world that they are major contenders in the business world.      “As business owners, women in 2007 had a major impact on the nation’s economy, employing more than 7.6 million workers,” said Census Bureau Deputy Director Thomas Mesenbourg. “In addition, the businesses they owned equally with men added another 8.1 million workers. Furthermore, businesses where women were owners or half-owners numbered 12.4 million firms, representing 45.7 percent of all firms.”  The 2012 census report on women-owned businesses is due to come out in 2015.  We expect these percentages to be even more favorable towards women. 
Insight2Incite Magazine had the pleasure of speaking with one such pioneering female entrepreneur, Carlita Vasser.  Carlita is the owner of At Home Care St. Louis, a comprehensive home care that offers a combination of home care and community-based services.  Since 2007, Carlita has successfully made At Home Care St. Louis a major contender in the home care industry.  However, according to Carlita, “As a woman, it hasn’t been easy.  But my experiences over these years have made me and my business stronger.”  Here’s why.
Tell us about your business.  What’s the history?  What inspired you to start this business?
At Home Care is a comprehensive in home care agency that offers a combination of home care and community-based services. We provide personal care, home maker services and nursing visits. At Home Care works to keep disabled and or seniors living at home with independence. The difference with At Home Care versus other companies is our strong community resource advocacy program.

We have an office in St. Louis and one in Hannibal. At Home Care covers 10 counties. Our main payer sources are Medicaid and Veterans Administration.

I was a nurse consultant and new business startup agent for various in home care and consumer directed service agencies in the country. I help start up several of my competitors.  I saw the pros and cons of running an agency. I also noticed the lack of great experienced and professional customer service.
I set the standards for excellence within At Home Care very high because of this knowledge.

What experience did you have going into business?
I have been a Registered Nurse for 20 years. I have been approved by the Missouri Board of Nursing and selected by National Council State Board of Nursing to participate on the NCLEXâ panel of subject matter expert in home care, community nursing and long term care several times. The NCLEX is a global test that all nurses are required to pass prior to receiving a nursing license.  I have worked within the home care arena for over 15 years.
Did anyone tell you not to do this?   How did you handle the naysayers?
I did have some unhappy ex-clients.   I even have lost negative friends along the way.  However, I have always been a determined and fearless servant of God. This is my personal ministry.   My mother passed away from lung cancer 2 days prior to the opening day of At Home Care. I knew that I had to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus and it would work out for the greater good, and it has. He even helped me turn a few clients into the best mentors and cheerleaders.  I am truly grateful for them.
How much did it cost to get started and where did you get the money?
I invested my savings to get the business started.  
If you could do it all again:
Would you?  
Being a nurse is who I am; it is my heart.  I was born to be a servant for God and to serve others.
What would you do differently?
Do not have fear. When God is leading you, follow him. He moved so fast that I had to catch up to him.  Before I could even get all of my ducks lined up in a row, I had clients.
What advice would you give other women that want to start businesses?
I would tell them just to take one step everyday towards their goal.  Be prepared for the challenges but look at them as a much needed tool. 
What do you think is the most significant barrier to female leadership?
As a woman, the most significant barrier in female leadership is allowing the whole-self authenticity. I was a senior level executive for a corporation and it was frowned upon to bring your whole self with transparency to work. Women do not compartmentalize their lives. Therefore, family and work are carried with them every day and everywhere.
As a woman, do you think it is easier to be married and start a business or unmarried?  Please explain.
I can speak only as a single woman with children. Both of my daughters have encouraged me through this wonderful journey. It is difficult when there are only 24 hours in a day and they want 25. However, they want At Home Care to be successful just as much as I do. My household understands the mission and vision of At Home Care.  Therefore, they are compassionate and caring too. 
Do you put in more or less hours than you had anticipated?  
When I started working on the business development of At Home Care, I understood that I would endure long hours. However, if you do what you love, you will never work again a day in your life.
Since 85% of all businesses close within 5 years, what makes you think yours will survive?  
This is not a business to me. It is a part of my testimony, my ministry. I have already beaten the odds. I have been in this business for over 14 years.  
How do you think your business will change in 10 years?
I believe that At Home Care will only grow. I have a few additional projects that will aide in providing additional resources and services for the community.
Do you have any additional advice that you would like to share with other aspiring women that are currently in business or that want to someday start their own businesses?
Make sure that you have a true entrepreneurial spirit.  Owning your own business is not a race but a journey. Slow down, embrace the challenges and enjoy the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment